Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Erica

My friend Erica is in the hospital. She suffered an asthma attack and passed out. Her husband gave her CPR until the ambulance got there, but her brain had already swelled and she was in a coma. She's been in a coma ever since Sunday and they are moving her to John Hopkins Hospital to get a second opinion on a not so great diagnosis of brain damage and swelling that won't go down. She can't breathe on her own.
The last time I saw Erica she was full of life and snapping photos of me at my wedding. It seems so unreal that she's lying in a hospital bed fighting for her life. Josh, her husband, called me today. He said that she seems like she can hear you when you talk to her and thinks she wants to come back. I think she wants to come back too. It just doesn't seem fair to her 5 children and all of the people that she has yet to meet.
Erica is a very talented photographer and artist and one of the most fearless people that I've ever met. Earlier this year I got to tattoo her and we got matching tattoos at the Baltimore Tattoo Convention. I hope that I can see her again.

No comments: